I had an experience not too long ago that I think I need to share. I find it quite hilarious yet humbling. I had just finished packing my stuff in the car to come back on hall when my mother said to me “Mek sure yuh have yuh key inuh” (Thank God for parents 😊). At that moment I realized I didn’t, so we started searching. I searched all over, couldn’t find the key. I looked high and low, still couldn’t find the key. I searched my luggage, shoe boxes, hand bags, everything, with no success, and mummy helped so you know when I say search I really mean search, but still no key. It then came to me to check one of my bags again. I did, still didn’t find the key 😑 . It was at that point I stopped, and I said “God, please show me where my key is, reveal it to me” and best believe IMMEDIATELY 😱 I opened THE VERY SAME PART OF THE BAG THAT I JUST FRANTICALLY SEARCHED, sigh and there was the key looking at me. The difference is this time I wasn’t searching of self, but was led by the spirit! The same situation undertaken in the flesh can have a totally different outcome when undertaken in the spirit! Gal 5:16 “This I say then, walk in the spirit…” Like the crazy person I am, I burst out laughing and I shook my head and I said Thank You Jesus!
This may be a “small” situation but the lessons to be drawn from it are many!
1. Matthew 6:33 “But seek ye first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.” Before you seek to do anything, seek God, as petty as it may seem, or as much as you think “Pssh I got this.” Frankly, we limit God a lot, but The Lord wants all of you. My youth director often says (and I’m paraphrasing) God should be so much at the forefront of our lives that when we awake in the mornings we should ask God whether we’re to have coffee or tea.
2. Proverbs 3:6 “In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.” Lord should I study Psychology or International Relations? God is it Drew you want me to marry? Father? Should I buy the car now? Scripture says in all our ways, not only what we thing is necessary. If you only acknowledge Him, he’ll lead you.
3. Phil 4:6 “Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God.” Make your requests be known. Why worry and get all worked up when the word says all you have to do is pray and give thanks? We like to be in control so much we forget God, and that’s why we end up with some problems at times that could have very well been avoided. As humans we are finite; we can do so much and no more. So why not give it all to the immeasurable and infinite God? I do understand though that some of us find it hard not to be fretful. Don’t rejoice yet, you’re not being justified. It’s only because you haven’t died much to flesh 👀. The word of God tells me that a fruit of the spirit is PEACE. So if you’re perpetually fretful, flesh.
4. Jesus said in John 15:5 “…for without me ye can do nothing.” He tells us, we cannot do anything without Him, yet we go off trying to do things on our own. Look at this, God uses small circumstances to show us that we are nothing and can do nothing, without Him. I tried doing things on my own with no success, until I turned to God. You may be thinking what does any of this have to do with me trying to find a key, but the word of God in 1 Corinthians 1:27 says “But God has chosen the foolish things of the world to put to shame the wise…”
5. John 14:1 ” Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me.” The Lord offers us peace and reassurance through His word, why won’t we take heed? I was being flustered about not finding the key, when I just simply had to trust God. Likewise many of us take things of this life on ourselves because we don’t trust God enough to handle it!
6. Matthew 6:27 “And which of you by being anxious can add a single hour to his span of life?” Look how Jesus just shut us right up! 😶 Can you add to your life by worrying? Cast your burdens upon Him. If God can’t do it best believe it can’t be done.
7. Psalm 46:10 “Be still, and know that I am God…” So because we’re not going to let our hearts be troubled and we’re not going to be anxious for anything since it doesn’t add to our lifespan, we’re going to be still and remember who God is! Let’s not be self reliant. Let’s not be hungry for control and forget that God is the shepherd and we are the sheep. Let’s always put Him first, whether we deem the situation to be great or minute.
What we often do is we say “I want a house.” You go to the bank, acquire a loan and buy the house. But then you realize that you were scammed because you were expecting a mansion and you got a shack with a false title, and that’s when you turn to God. Wrong approach! 🙅🏾 I bet if you had put God first, our good Lord would have revealed to you that the offer was not legitimate. If you’ve read one of my previous posts “When I Can Do No More”, you would have seen where I mentioned that placing God first, allowing Him to lead and therefore submission, did not come easy for me but it is very much doable. #GettingThere
Referencing the story, it didn’t take much. I didn’t have to get into any deep prayer. All I had to do was ask. Ask and it will be given to you says the Lord in Matt 7:7. But guess what saints, YOU MUST BE WALKING IN THE SPIRIT. You must be abiding in Him and He in you (John 15:4). So because you’re connected, somebody catch this, 🙌🏾🙌🏾🙌🏾 He can give you what you want. Prayers get answered not a month later, not tomorrow, now (no is also an answer). Our father knows our need BEFORE we ask of him (Matt 6:8). So when you’re connected to God, living in His will, worshipping Him, he will give you what you need sometimes even before you ask Him.
P.S. If you think I’m being unrealistic or exaggerating the simplicity of this (I once thought so) then you aren’t close enough. My advice: Get higher in God.
Regards, Tamalcia J.